Earth Day 2012 - Mobilize the Earth
April 22 marks Earth Day and has been chosen as a global campaign designed to provide people with the opportunity to raise their voices in a call for awareness on committing ourselves to preserving our natural resources in a sustainable manner for future generation. It also reminds everyone to take action against the negative impacts caused by people towards the environment by appreciating nature and “Going Green”. This includes the three R’s, namely, Recycling, Reusing and Reducing.
Importance of Earth Day
It is estimated that the global population will reach 9 billion by 2050 and as a result Earth Day 2012 will act as a launch for increasing environmental awareness. We only have one planet and it is everyone’s responsibility to look after it.
Individual actions to mobilize the Earth?
- Practice organic vegetable gardening- this reduces pollution by avoiding traditional methods of fertilization and pest control using chemicals. This prevent unhealthy toxins from being released into the earth and water, as well as into our bodies.
- Remember to drink Rand Water’s tap water as it is strictly regulated and safe. Making the switch from bottled water to tap water, decreases the amount of plastic bottles landing in our landfill sites.
- Commit ourselves to teach the public about environmental issues and greening programmes.
- Learn to separate our household waste. The little extra effort now will save our earth later.
- Cut down on fuel costs by using lift clubs or taking a walk if going to nearby shops.
- Take small steps by changing high energy usage light bulbs to fluorescent, low-energy light bulbs to save energy.
- Use recycled paper. This reduce the amount of trees that need to be cut down.
As the whole world unite to emphasize concerns on environmental issues water conservation should be borne in mind as a major problem facing South Africa today.
Water Wise Tip: place a closed bottle, filled with water or sand, in your toilet cistern to reduce the amount of water used per flush. last week
Water Wise Tip: invest in a pool cover to reduce water from evaporating from your pool. Be Water Wise! 6 months ago
Water Wise Tip: make sure the irrigation sprays target the plants and not the patio, driveway or the road. Be Water Wise! 7 months ago